Q. I want to renovate a room(s) with natural stone; where do I
A. Before contacting a fabricator or distributor, decide what rooms you would like to update and the general dimensions of the room. Establish ideas that you or an Interior Designer may have for renovating and decorating inspirations.
Next, you will need to contact a fabricator who will help you choose options to suit you and the project at hand. Exact measurements will be taken and later cut and installed by your fabricator.
Before the instillation, your fabricator will refer you to World Stone Distributors. At World Stone Distributors we provide an extensive and unique selection of stones that are perfect to suit any project. You will have the opportunity to walk through our warehouse and showroom guided by our friendly, knowledgeable staff.
Once you have selected your natural stone of choice, your fabricator will work with you to set up a date for instillation.
Q. How can I protect the surfaces of my natural stone?
A. The best way to protect your natural stone surface is with a high quality penetrating sealer, coasters and mats.
- Stone is naturally porous and “absorbs” spills and may be stained without proper treatment. A penetrating sealer goes below the surface and fills in the pores to repel water and oil based spills that may otherwise affect the coloration of the stone. Although sealing your stone does help maintain the luster and beauty of the stone, “etching” may still occur if acidic foods, drinks or cleansers come into contact with the stone. Always clean surfaces with a neutral PH-balanced cleanser and reapply sealer as recommended.
- Natural stone is extremely durable however even heat, cooking utensils and dirt may scratch or damage the stone. Always use coasters for drinks and mats or trivets for hot dishes. Door mats and floor rugs help keep grit and dirt from scratching natural stone floors. Many small scratches in stone can be removed with a direct application of mineral oil. Larger or deeper scratched should be referred to a professional.
Q. What is the difference between Marble and Granite?
A. The difference between Marble and Granite is most easily identified by two characteristics: appearance and durability.
- Granite is most often “spotted” or granular in appearance. Granite is the most durable of natural stones next to diamonds. Granite is ideal for kitchens as it the most stain, scratch and heat resistant of all the other stones.
- Marble is most often “Veiny” in appearance and a “softer” stone than its counterpart. Marble is a popular choice for its elegant look and low maintenance. Marble is ideal for foyers, bathrooms, flooring, fireplace facing and hearths. Marble should be treated more delicately as it may be more susceptible to damage.
Q. What are different types of finishes for stone?
A. The most common finishes on naturalstone are Polished, Honed, and Brushed.
- Polished is the glossiest of all the finishes. A reflective, lustrous polished finish is ideal for any location.
- Honed finishes are achieved by smoothing the stone without a polish. Honed stone gives a matte-like appearance. This finish is popular for floors, stairs and surfaces that need more texture to prevent slipping. This finish is also ideal for
high foot traffic areas where a polished finish would dull over time. A honed finish does not affect the stain resistant qualities of the granite.
- Brushed finishes give the most rustic and weathered appearance without sacrificing any of the stain resistant qualities of the granite. Brushed finishes are
obtained by application of hard plastic or metal brushes. The brushes remove the softest part of the stone, revealing a look similar to an antiqued finish.
We’re happy to help if you have any questions that weren’t answered above!
World Stone Distributors (843) 744.5665